One question I usually hear on the SEO industry, especially for beginners is: Where can I download an external keyword tool?
By “Keyword tool” they refer to a tool to do Keyword research and get vital information to create a website like: Page Rank, Traffic, Adwords Value, Competition, etc.
By default, Google offers its own Keyword research tool by signing up into their Adwords program (it’s free, try it here). Google Adwords is Google’s advertising Network for Advertisers (not publishers) and it includes a Keyword tool to setup campaigns that have better value. You don’t need anything special, just a Google Account like GMail, Google+ or whatever and you’ll have access to it.
Here’s how it looks; just write a keyword, select a category and you’re ready to go. You can also customize your search by adding language and location information.
Google Adwords Keyword tool allows you to Keyword Research some of them most important factors to rank a page on Google. Those factors are:
- Search Traffic (localized or global): which represents the number of people doing an exact / broad search query for an specific keyword.
- Competition: In the case of Adwords, this competition number represents how many people is offering and paying Google to appear on Banners. So, the higher, the better for a publisher (i.e. a Blogger)
- CPC (Cost per Click): Which indicates the value of a click in case someone clicks an Adsense ad in your blog. Of course,the higher the better for you.
Now don’t get me wrong.
Google Adwords Keyword tool is great to do keyword research and helps us with SEO competition and analysis. Adwords keyword tool is also free, which means you don’t have to pay for it when you’re just starting your blog (every penny counts). But it also lacks of information that could help you get the most out of every page /article in your blog.
Finally, you need to open your browser to access to this tool. You can’t download it or have a local App on your computer, which brings me to the following question:
Which external keyword tool do you recommend?
Hands down: Market Samurai Keyword Tool.
Now, Market Samurai isn’t an Official Tool from Google, but it offers all the information and gets a lot of it directly from Adwords Keyword Tool, but also from many other sources including Bing and SEO Majestic.
The best thing of Market Samurai is that it’s a Desktop application, and works flawlessly on Windows and Mac OS X Operating systems. I’ve used it on Windows 7 and Windows 8 (right now) and I also have it installed on my Macbook Air running Mountain Lion. Since it uses Adobe Air as its platform, as long as you have it installed you’re good to go.
You can even install it on 5 different computers and activate it within the same serial, which you can reset at anytime from your account’s dashboard. So, don’t worry about activation problems.
Here’s a quick look at the research you can do with Market Samurai, and I’m not including many other factors yet:
As you can see, Market Samurai is giving me information of:
- SEOT (SEO Traffic): represents the quantity of DAILY visitors you can really get if your article is ranked number 1 on Google. Compare that to the total global/local searches from the Adwords tool and you can definitely see which one will show you more realistic/practical results.
- PBR: allows you to understand if people is looking for that specific keyword or going through similar ones.
- SEOC (SEO Competition): totally different to the competition from the Adwords tool, this one shows you how many websites are competing on the internet for that specific keyword. In this case, the less, the better for you to rank high.
- Trends: useful especially in the “news” niche
- AWCPC (Adwords CPC): Same as Adwords value
- SEOV (SEO Value): which shows you an estimate of how much you could earn by using Adsense advertisement on your blog combined with being the number 1 in Google search results.
There are more things I could show you here, but that’s the reason I wrote my Market Samurai Review (updated 2012) so you can learn more about it and how to get the most out of it.
In fact, I recently wrote an article on how to find your competitor’s backlinks and to beat them! which has been gaining a lot of traffic recently for being very useful information.
So, if you’re looking for an external keyword tool, don’t lose your time anymore. I promise Market Samurai will satisfy your needs in every way. If you’re not really convinced about it, they even have a free trial so you can test it (full functionality) and decide if it fits your needs.
I know there are a lot of keywords tools out there that really don’t do anything special. I’ve been there. I’ve bought some of them and got disappointed, but Market Samurai is still working hard and I use it on a daily basis to write each one of my articles to get the most out of them.