TrueView ads are a type of video ads, mostly shown on YouTube, and provide the viewers with the choice and control of advertisements they want to see. The viewers have the flexibility to select the ads they think relevant. They can also decide whether to watch the ad in full or to ‘skip’ it after five seconds.
TrueView ads are generally shown as pre- or mid-roll video. Viewers see these ads when they search for videos on YouTube, or Google Display Network, or in related web content. TrueView ads are definitely different from most video ads since the payment is made only when an impression is served.
Different options for TrueView video ad:
Four types of TrueView ads are available to match different types of advertising needs:
- True View in-stream ads: This type of ad plays like a traditional TV-style ad, shown after or during another video play from YouTube partner. It allows the viewers to skip the pre-roll ads after viewing it for five seconds. Sponsors pay for the ads which are viewed either for thirty seconds or until the end of the video (whichever is less). In-stream video ads can match both short and long video content. In-stream video ads are also now available on Facebook as shown here.
- TrueView in-slate ads: These ads are shown before playing YouTube partner videos lasting ten minutes or longer. Viewers can either watch one of three advertisements or can opt to view regular commercial breaks interspersed through the video. Sponsors are charged only when the viewers choose to watch the video or the ads.
- TrueView in-search ads: These videos are displayed in a special promoted section of the search result pages on Google Video or YouTube when the viewer’s search matches with the keywords of the advertisement. Sponsors pay for the ads that the viewers start to watch.
- TrueView in-display ads: These are legacy formats, which appear in the video overlay promoted by YouTube. In-display ads are also shown in related videos, video search results, and Click-to-Play format of Google when there is a match for the target audience. The appearance of the video depends on the publishers and the sponsors are charged only when the viewers opt to watch the video.
Advantages offered by TrueView video ads:
As Google says, eighty percent of YouTube viewers prefer TrueView videos, over other formats of in-stream video ads. The following are the innumerable benefits of TrueView video in terms of efficiency and cost-effectiveness:
- Since the sponsors have to pay only when the viewers select to watch an advertisement, it is easy for them to save money.
- When an ad is served but not watched beyond thirty seconds, there is no charge for impression build awareness. Website click-through is also free of charge.
- The viewers can select to watch an ad or can skip it. This allows the advertisers to ensure views are relevant and engage more of their target audience.
- It is also possible to target the audience according to their demographics, interests, or keywords they use for search.
- TrueView advertising is available across a wide range of devices, like PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones, or other mobile devices.
TrueView video advertising is a completely new approach to video production and advertising. These ads on YouTube and Google Display Network are characterized by consumer’s choice, lower cost, and higher engagement of the viewers.
TrueView video allows the advertisers to reach a greater number of their target audiences than ever before.
Summary: TrueView video is a new concept of video advertising where the viewers can select the ad or skip it according to their needs. The sponsors are only charged when the viewers opt to watch the videos.
About the Author: Sam Middleton, a digital marketing evangelist, has also co-founded a small SEO agency in London, UK. He is passionate about his profession and likes to write blogs about video production and advertising.